r-word.org

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Models for Class

I've been invited to teach several knotting techniques at the 2009 International Old Lacers, Inc. Convention, in Los Angeles. Here are some of the models I have made for the classes I plan to teach:

This choker is made of hemp, with glass 'E' beads and a center-hole flat bead of carved bone. The techniques in this piece are unique to anything I've ever seen.

Here is a choker made with a similar technique, but moving the cords in a different pattern to create a slightly different effect. The beads are cloisonne and the center is a shank button.

Here is a choker made with a different technique. No beads are used, but a charm is added to the center. I knew I wanted to make this choker with the spider charm, but had to think about what color(s) to use for the cords -- for a few seconds! What better colors to use for a spider in the desert/foothills of California (where black widows abound) than black and red? The knots used are square knots and Josephine Knots (Carrick Bends). The Josephine Knots remind me of the distinctive 'hour glass' design on black widow's belly.

Another technique I will be teaching is the Snake Knot -- more specifically, the necklaces I've been making lately. Here are a few samples: Snake Knot Jewelry, Birds on Branch Necklace, and the last four photos here: Snake Knot Lanyard Variations.

There will be a few other projects, of course, including a few other techniques. I have several ideas, but I'm not ready to share them just yet. These will be my original designs.

I'm very excited about this opportunity. I don't know if there have been other classes in knotting at IOLI Conventions, but I hope to get a few people interested in continuing knot tying, by teaching these designs.

No comments: