r-word.org

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Snake Knot Lanyard Variations

I made this with the same method Stormdrane uses for his lanyard, but with a slight variation. First, I made enough snake knotting to go around my wrist. I bent that around and then cut one line from each end, leaving about an inch or so, then used the other two ends and made the rest of the lanyard the same way as Stormdrane, working the snake knot back up to the top, covering the two ends I'd cut before, as I reached them. Then I just finished the ends off by cutting them off with my Perfect End burner.

The cording I used in this is braided mason line, from Home Depot. I don't recommend the colors of this stuff for fancy knotting, however, because they don't seem to care about keeping the color consistent (not very important in masonry, I suppose). I found several patches of much darker color throughout the project, so if I were to make anything with that again, I will have to keep that in mind and maybe use just the white.

Here's another lanyard, but this is not removable, as you can see. It's a variation of the covering of the Pry Bar. But I wrap the Pry Bar a little differently than the video says to do -- it's not necessary to put the standing end through the second hole (at the top of the Pry Bar) until after the wrapping is finished. This allows you to do the wrapping without cutting a length of line from the spool. Before I started wrapping the Pry Bar, I left enough extra line to tie the snake knot lanyard (a couple of yards, as I recall). Then I put the standing end through the first hole (at the bottom of the Pry Bar) and then did the wrapping, going under and over as instructed, and THEN I put the standing end through the top hole. Then I cut an equal length of line from the spool and tied a lanyard knot, then snake knot until I had the length I wanted it to hang down from my wrist. Next, I split the two lines and added in another line (half going to each side) and tied the two lengths of snake knot to reach around my wrist. I finished it using the two ends from each side to tie a doubled lanyard knot, and trimmed off the ends with the burner, leaving a short 'tassel' of the ends.

And these are some neck-lanyards I've been making for some friends. They're nice for putting on your cellphone or camera. Again, I use Stormdrane's method, but I start with two cords, each about five feet long. I measure about 20 inches and that's where I begin. i tie the desired length of snake knot and then cut off the ends with the burner. The 20inch length gets tied into the neck cord, with a double fisherman's knot.

These were made similarly, but all I did was put the swivels in the middle of one cord and work snake knot from there. When the desired length is reached, or when there's only enough line left for the neck cord, I cut them to equal lengths and tie them in a double fisherman's knot for the neck cord.

And here's a lanyard I made with a bit of rat-tail left over from a snake-not necklace. I think it was only about a yard or so. First I put the rat-tail through the clipper and tied a lanyard knot. I then tied snake knot until there was just enough left to tie another lanyard knot. Then I cut off the excess, with the burner, leaving just a bit for "fringe". The really nice thing about this lanyard is that it gives me a great deal more control of the clipper when I use it. I hold the clipper normally, but I have the lanyard in the rest of my hand, for a much better grip. This is a great clipper for tatting -- because its blade is convex instead of concave, I can clip off the threads almost below the stitches in which they are hidden.

This is a lanyard made with just a bit more of leftover rat-tail cord from a necklace. I planned it just a little differently, so that the leftover cording (from the 8-yard spool) was all in one longer piece. I think there were about 2 yards to begin this one, but I can't remember for sure:

I've been having so much fun with all these that I don't know when I'll be able to stop!

No comments: